Monday, February 13, 2012

Dust and spice

Today I reached the southernmost tip of my journey - Chennai. In the bus from Hyderabad, I could literally feel moving closer to the equator because of the heat. As my third metropolitan city, Chennai stands out as being not cosmopolitan. It could be the areas I've seen are old Chennai because the dressing style of people is quite untouched by western fashion. And plus the crowd is primarily Tamilian, with no mix of races and cultures. It is a dusty city which seems to have clung to its ways.
As being a capital city, it does have its share of chain restaurants and retail outlets. On the ride from CMBT to T Nagar, I saw KFC, Big Bazaar, More, Reliance Fresh etc. Also found a BFC: Bigboy Fried Chicken. It feels good to see that Indian brands have grown as chains. Earlier chains were confined to McD and Dominos.
Since we are talking about food, lets talk about the rava dosai I ate in the evening which came with a daal like saambhar, coconut and green chutneys. The green chutney was tangy as if it had raw mango. It is the first speciality of Tamil Nadu for me. The red garlic chutney of Mysore was also a good experience. After eating versions of Mysore Masala Dosa in BITS and outside Samhita office, the authentic version near Mysore Bus Stand was revealing. In Bangalore and Hyderabad, the south Indian food came from UpSouth and Chutneys respectively. The highlight remains the AP food at a friend's house, home-cooked by her mother.
And lastly, speaking about food, lets talk about chaat. Sadly I missed it in Karnataka. In Hyderabad, the chaat isn't good at all. I ate panipuri in 4 different parts of the city and all of them had soft puris. Of course I am talking about their lack of crispiness before being dipped. Looks like the cooks who make them don't do it well. The chaat ka pani wasn't great either : poor show right from Bikanerwala to the street vendors. Hoping to try Chennai's versions tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I think you were continuing and stopped in the middle.
    Spotting Pani-puri in Chennai, itself amazes me, leave alone any expectations for tastebuds. Decent attempt though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Gokul chat in Hyd? Kind of the best in Hyd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, somebody told me Gokul had closed in Hyd. Tried Bikanerwala but was unimpressed. And tried panipuri at 2 roadside places.

      Delete
  3. Hi Devika,

    Just came across your work...great going must say! Kudos to you for pursuing work in this sector and also for having the courage to travel across the country on your own! Keep it up :)!

    Regards,
    Abhishek A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes i ate bhail poori in gokul chat, that's awesome.

    Kaleswari Travels

    ReplyDelete