Friday, July 17, 2009

I love Mumbai

Arrival on 25th May, Departure on 18th July. A lot has happened in between.
An application I made is up and running on supercomputer Anupam Ajeya.
I found some great friends here, as you have read and some about whom you haven't.
I've travelled in Mumbai in all modes of public transport. Sometimes alone also.
And I am in love with the city.

Reasons:

I live in a very beautiful campus - right in the lap of nature, just the way I like it. The food in Anushaktinagar is loads better than in Goa. There are a lot more eating joints in this campus, plus most of them sell tasty food at normal prices. Not the tasteless stuff you get after paying dearly at Monginis. I am a big fan of पानीपुरी or फुलकी whatever you call it and there is not a chance of getting anything which comes close in Goa. Alan and I even had a one-to-one contest at PPD i.e. Pani-Puri Division. There are a lot of dvisions here, so we added one more. After both of us ate 30 fulkis each, there were no more left at the shop. Sweat all over the face and red eyes was Alan's condition then. Too much spicy water. I have loved them since I was a kid, so 30 didnt make any difference to me :D
Talking about food, I had a yummy time almost every weekend, as I told you once.

Another highpoint was roaming around in Chembur on my own. It was fun exploring the place on foot. The culture of Mumbai makes it comfortable for a girl to move around in new places. Even the bus-conductors are considerate and civilized unlike the ones found in some other cities. The people are very helpful especially the autowallahs. We used to start only with the name of the destination, knowing we could ask around to reach the correct place.

Mumbai being a big metro, service is faster and efficient. My lappy got a new screen in just 4 days. This would've taken at least 15 days in Jabalpur or Goa. Due to some other error, the motherboard might also get changed. I'll return with a brand-new lappy then. HP warranty rocks..

My marvelous experiences can continue, for now I wish you farewell..

P.S. If you are ever planning to travel in a local train here, do not stand in front of the pole while getting in. You'll get squashed between it and the crowd. And I assure you it is neither comfortable nor painless. There's another must-know at out of a local train.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. technically the one-to-one pani-puri competition finished in a tie :P ...btw after that comptn ppd also stands for pani puri devi :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food @ Anushakti nagar is far better than Goa, mostly because it serves to the employees and residents and has government subsidies also. Truly far better than Goa as the board that fixes the menu doesn't dine in the mess.
    And even I noticed the thing about the people of Mumbai, most are very helpful. May be this is the secret behind the huge mass of humanity that exists in the city.
    Cool write up, keep rocking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pani Puri Devi... with a number of 30 pani puris you deserve that...
    Achal

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sartty: Thanks. Luckily, food at our messes also seems to be improving.

    ReplyDelete