Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Driving in Jabalpur

If you appreciate chaos, you would love this. Heavy traffic, no rules whatsoever and roads with potholes. Driving a two-wheeler in Jabalpur is at times a circus where you are unknowingly one of the jokers.  I went driving for a mere 8 km today and a few peeks at the journey can tell you a lot about my daily experience:

I’m driving a bit towards the left on the road and a passenger auto decides to go left and stop right before me. No problem, with autos you can expect that they’ll turn or stop whenever and wherever they feel like. I then overtook it from the right but then somebody has to get down on the right side.


A few metres ahead there’s an auto with a trolley at the back driving in the middle of the road. Abruptly it takes a right turn, no indicator, no hand signal. Luckily I was slow because I had just passed a busy area and stopped about two feet from the auto.

The busy area that I had come from is the special suburb of Gokalpur where for some unknown reason; people tend to cross the road all the time. On this 300 metre stretch of road, I tend to keep my eyes wide open because you never know who would take a leisurely stroll across the road. And this happens at all hours. I would not be surprised if I go at 6 am and there is somebody brushing and crossing.

Contrary to my experience earlier, the traffic has increased manifold in my city. The roads seem to be complaining and people seem to be innovatively coping. Now, being overtaken from the left is common. Hence, I now know why God gave me two ears. You need to know from which side or from both are you being overtaken.

And yes you need sharp eyes too. As you need to check the path for potholes too while driving. Even my favourite stretch in GCF (Gun Carriage Factory) estate has become riddled with them. It is a 2.5 km long road nestled among hills which are splendid when flowers are in full bloom or lush green in monsoons. It is an exception to the main city roads where the dust is so bad; your lungs would choke if there is no cloth tied across your face. The sun at 46 degrees and dust do ensure that every two-wheeler has terrorists on it.

Btw, if you are ever planning to visit, do drive a two-wheeler, it is a significant part of Incredible India.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

  1. Out of chaos and randomness there comes a calm peace and tranquility and out of driving in this mad city there comes peace of mind because you are always distracted for thinking abut anything else , else u will find urself in hospital

    ReplyDelete
  2. what vehicle were you driving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well draftes as always .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @PRD: I was driving a scooty pep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. naice naice... I just love India more and more :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the first comment..You should be careful while driving :)

    Waise..very well writeen..plain simple language...Nice!!

    ReplyDelete