Thursday, June 25, 2009

Does Self-Improvement Improve?

Self Improvement is a must section for any book-shop now. I went to Odyssey store some days back and they had those in huge numbers. Then, I went to Matunga Circle this weekend, and they were there too. Matunga Circle is a place in Mumbai where second hand books and cheap reprints are sold on street-side shops. (I got an old book on financial management for 10 bucks). I also got Robin Sharma's Megaliving and Who Will Cry When You Die?, though they weren't such a treat to my wallet.

Megaliving is a true blue, 'you can have a perfect life' book. It begins with reassurances that you can turn around your life and has a 30 Day program to revolutionise your life. My mom is suspicious of such attempts at becoming successful and believes in action not words. I do not know whether such books can change lives but they sure give me an uplifting feeling. For a while I could have a can-do attitude and an optimistic outlook. Long term effects are more a product of my philosophy and upbringing rather than inspirational literature.

Many books in the motivational genre have went on to become best-sellers. They are read by countless around the world. So, does the world now have self-motivated, go-getters who never say die? Though if I consider the world around me, BITSians are constantly working to improve in their fields, be it my batch, seniors or alumni. Each one does something to excel, it is almost amazing. Reason, I suspect is just the atmosphere at college.

Coming back to books, most authors claim that they have changed thousands of lives by their endeavours. Is it pessimistic of me to think they are bluffing or do books actually change lives? Or........ the high lasts only for a day?

One believer: Abe Oye!
One non-believer: Soul Surgery

4 comments:

  1. i rather agree with aunty anyways i m not a person who can read those books u know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Long term effects are more a product of my philosophy and upbringing rather than inspirational literature."
    totally.... \m/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that these books can revolutionise the way one thinks or works but i think sometimes we fail to see where we are going wrong and whats stopping us to achieve our full potential and these books make you see just that and motivate you to go the right way...

    God post
    Keep blogging.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shraddha: Your ideas seem to be in sync with another answer that I got. I posted it at http://lekhika-devu.blogspot.com/2009/07/answer.html

    ReplyDelete