Wednesday, July 22, 2009

An Answer

An in-depth reply by a friend to my post Does Self-Improvement Improve? :


In my opinion, personal/relational influence is what matters. Books, movies,sports,music etc happen to be the channels through which the authors/actors/directors/singers(different persons) convey what they want to.What exactly matters, changes individually. At the same time whatever the person is trying to convey, has to be caught immediately by the person being conveyed. I call this ability to catch, "an innate spark".

Even a child gets excited when spider-man jumps from one building to other. That's the spark. Trust me, this spark, is the key to your self-improvement. Books are only a channelthrough which the author is trying to make you shine.(or influence) But remember that he/she is using the spark you have. :). (Its a 50-50 deal.)

Secondly, the "self-improvement' term is a bit confusing. Everyone derives its meaning in his own way. May be character development, vocabulary, better communication skills etc. are self-improvement terminologies for few of us. For many of us even building 6-pack abs is a self-improvement. The reason is some actor influences them through some channel using thier spark..
There could be numerous examples like this where I can co-relate self-improvement, personal influence, the channel, the innate spark you have and the proper selection of all of these things.

Thirdly, not only these external personal influences but also your close relations matter in your improvement. By close relation, I mean your parents, your relatives, your friends, teachers or any relations that matters to you. Now you say that "long terms effects are a product of my own philosophy." No one is an inborn philosopher to be a responsible and improved human-being. Don't you think that the 'relational influences' and 'the spark' that I just now mentioned, matter in developing your own philosophy and consequently the long term effects?

According to me, one should find out the spark that he/she has, the personal/relational influence that can properly use this spark,the ways to nurture it, the channel through which it acts and of course the definition of "Self-improvement". The so-called Self-improvement will automatically follow... :)

1 comment:

  1. About this actors and some persons are followed religiously here so people do what they do , might it be a gud habit or bad.It's true tht some actors channalize it for gud purpose and motivate people .And about personal influences they play a major role in anybody improvement, for example consider me i cant break a promise i made to my sis after i did smthng wrong and she is actually there to help me out in my bad times.I guess she influenced me a lot thanku :)

    ReplyDelete